Erin Rock'n Piggies!

Erin Rock'n Piggies!
2 years Old

Thursday, November 11, 2010

DNA Tests

Tomorrow we are taking Erin to the Children's lab to have her blood drawn for the DNA tests for Rett Sydnrome. I have mixed emotions about it as you could imagine. I want the test done to get the clock ticking so we can get the results but I am also scared to death to find out.

If you are unfamiliar with Rett Syndrome imagine the symptoms of autism, cerebral palsy, Parkinson's, epilepsy, and anxiety disorders…all in one little girl - that is Rett and I was completely unfamiliar with it until recently.

As a woman over 35 I was always afraid of the chance of Down Syndrome and ironically Sean and I are of the mind set that we are grateful for whatever God gives us. We refused all screening tests like amnio and other tests because no matter what the child had we graciously accepted. I guess once I had my new baby in my arms and saw that all the fingers and toes are present I didn't think about whether she would make her developmental milestones, I was just happy she was here. I never thought we'd be facing something like this and regardless of the outcome I wouldn't change a thing. She is my precious child and she is the love of my life. My greatest fear is that she won't live a normal, happy life, get married or be able to have children. This disorder slowly takes all progress and speech your child has made and basically makes them helpless in their own bodies.

I can't believe this would be her fate and I am truly trying to "trust in God" but what if the answer is no...?
Praying like never before. It's my new hobby.

No comments: