Erin Rock'n Piggies!

Erin Rock'n Piggies!
2 years Old

Friday, October 22, 2010

Special Needs Coordinator Visit @ Children's

October 22nd 2010
Today we had our visit with development services called complex care at Children's that I have been very much looking forward to. After checking in and sitting down I looked around the room at the other children. Children that were very severely handicapped and will never be out of the care of their parents or able to live on there own. Couldn't feed themselves, would never graduate from college, get a job, get married or be able to have children. Children in wheelchairs with trecs. This CAN'T be the right place for MY daughter! It just can't be. Erin, who looks perfectly normal, interacts with us, smiles, eats and sleeps well is not going to end up this handicapped. I just can't accept that outcome. I am still of the mind set that she will grow out of her development delays and then they send us to a place like this? It was a huge reality check/wake up call that I didn't want to let penetrate because then it's as if she really won't be that bad off. I still believe with enough prayers and time she will advance and be a normal kid.

We were called into the office and met someone who I think is going to be a very important part of our lives for the next few years. Dr. Laurie warmly greeted us and sat down and gave us a thorough interview regarding Erin and her developmental/medical history then proceeded to her physical exam. After everything was discussed she said she wanted to see how she progressed in the next 3 months and re-evaluate her progress. Once we saw how she advanced she would have a better idea/plan for Erin. I was happy with that outcome because if she sent us out with another list of doctor's to see that would've been worse than "ok, see you in 3 months!" So we go home and see how it goes!

Overall I was very pleased to meet someone who will finally help us navigate through this process with the best possible outcome and resources for Erin and our family. I feel hopeful and am optimistic about the future. Thank you Dr. Laurie! You are everything I hoped you would be and more!

No comments: